What size system should I buy?
How big of an area are you looking to condition?
The bigger the space, the bigger air conditioner needed.
How well is your home insulated?
A well-insulated home better maintains temperature, which means you likely won’t need as much heating or cooling.
What climate do you live in?
If you live in a particularly challenging environment, like tropical or sub-tropical areas, more demands are put on your system than in less harsh climates. If you feel like you’ve factored in the above, there are a number of options you can use to calculate the size system you need:
- Use a formula
- Use an online calculator
- Get a professional to visit your home and calculate the right size for specifically for you
This can be a quick and easy method, but it also tends to be fairly broad/non-specific, so can be good in terms of getting a general idea of the size you need but for anything more specific than that it can leave a lot to be desired. To use this method:
- Confirm the length & width of the room you’re looking to condition, then multiply them with each other – this will give you the area’s m² size
- The next step depends on your ceiling height
- If it’s 2.4m high: multiply the m² by 150 watts
- If it’s 2.7m high: multiply the m² by 160 watts
- If it’s 3m high: multiply the m² by 175 watts
- This gives you the amount of watts needed, which you can then divide by 1,000 to convert to a kilowatt figure
- 10m wide x 10m long = 100m²
- Based on 2.4m ceiling height: 100m² x 150 watts = 15,000 watts
- 15,000 watts / 1,000 = 15 kilowatt
Use an online calculator
Online calculators may give you a more accurate estimate than the basic formula, but you typically will have to provide more information on a range of factors – the more information you can supply, the better the calculation. There are a number of calculators online that you can find with a quick Google search.
By far the best method, we strongly recommend using licensed air conditioning professionals to visit your home and size the right system for you. They have the experience and the expertise required to compensate for any number of site-specific factors, and your intended usage, to not only specify the best size system for your needs, but the best specific product as well. If that sounds good to you, please contact us today and we’ll connect you with one of the many high quality air conditioning professionals in our National Dealer Network, for an obligation free site visit that will outline the best solution for your specific needs.