Operating Tips for Extreme Weather
Always test run your air conditioner a few weeks before the start of summer or winter and make sure it is cooling or heating sufficiently. If the air conditioner needs servicing, it is advised that you do this before the summer or winter season arrives.
On a hot day you will need to:
- Follow any conditions specified in the installer’s quotation.
- Always start the air conditioner early in the morning and keep the house/office cool. If you try and start the air conditioner in the afternoon when the house/office is already very hot, it may take a while to cool down.
- Keep outside doors and windows closed.
- Keep doors to unconditioned areas (eg laundries, bathrooms etc.) closed.
- Note that any doorways on the return air path will need to be kept open, which may mean that doors to an unconditioned hallway will need to be kept open.
- Keep windows, which are exposed to the sun, shaded preferably externally (e.g. shutters), but alternatively by internal blinds or curtains.
- Only switch on the maximum zones specified in the quotation. Switch off other zones. If your installer/dealer has not specified what area they have allowed for, then they have probably only allowed for the main living area. Seek advice from installer/dealer.
- Operate the fan on high speed. On humid days a low fan speed may be more comfortable.
On a cold day you will need to:
- Follow any conditions specified in the installer‘s quotation.
- You can leave air conditioner running overnight, but lower the set point 2-4 degrees from your normal setting to help save electricity. This will prevent the house/office from becoming too cold overnight and thus enabling the air conditioner to warm the house/office quicker when you raise the temperature set point back to your usual setting.
- Start the air conditioner a couple of hours earlier than you normally would in the morning.
- If outside conditions are very cold (approx. 7°C or lower) supplementary heating may be used such as electric or gas heaters to complement & speed the heating up.
- Keep outside doors and windows closed.
- Keep doors to unconditioned areas (eg laundries, bathrooms etc.) closed. Note that any doorways on the return air path will need to be kept open, which may mean that doors to an unconditioned hallway will need to be kept open.
- Keep internal blinds or curtains closed.
- Do not use CONT FAN when selecting fan speeds.
- Only switch on the maximum zones specified in the quote. Switch other zones off. If your installer/dealer has not specified what area they have allowed for, then they have probably only allowed for the main living area. Seek advice from installer/dealer.
Resetting the air conditioner
Switch the air conditioner off at the main power switch. The main power switch is occasionally located adjacent the outdoor unit. Wait about 15 seconds after the air conditioner has turned off before turning the main power switch back on. You may need to wait up to 5 minutes for the compressor to turn on. If the air conditioner still does not seem to work, it may be faulty. A frequent need for resetting should be investigated. Call the installer if the air conditioner is less than 12 months old or contact the ActronAir® Service Department.
Cleaning Air Conditioner Filters
Air conditioner filters require regular cleaning or replacing (depending on the type). As filters accumulate dust they block up, reducing airflow and the cooling or heating capacity of the air conditioner. In addition some types lose filtration efficiency the dirtier they get. Some filters are located in hinged filter frames attached to the return air grille. These filters are typically residential filters. They are generally of the washable type and should be cleaned by gently washing with water. If water by itself is not cleaning the filer sufficiently, use a mild detergent. These filters usually require very frequent cleaning. It is recommended to clean the filter monthly.
Filter Light Flashing
If you find your filter light continuously flashing, press the on/off button once and it should reset for another 200 hours of running time. Before clearing this, please clean filter as a precaution.
New Filter / Material
In the event that your filter material needs replacing please contact a filter supplier.
You need to consider where the outdoor unit is going to be located. As a general guide do not locate an outdoor unit near neighbouring bedroom windows. There are specific regulations that apply. You will need to rely on the advice of your installer/dealer in determining the appropriate location for your air conditioner.